Tuesday, August 11, 2009

CAMPER BLOGS...Bonking Allowed!

Tonight marks the end of the first official day. It was a day of many feelings. We went to breakfast and then did some stretching. Last night as I went to bed, I discovered I had forgotten one of my meds. So some extra time and planning had to go into getting an Rx picked up @ the local drug store, in addition to just completing the full day of activities.
I had decided to have my main focus be on running and that is what I started with, for the first long exercise session. It was awesome.
Yoli was in charge of the session and she taught many warm-up and strengthening exercises. I was quite nervous about not being able to keep up with the group, but the staff continues to stress that this camp is for the individual. There is not any level you HAVE to work to or at. They want the camper to determine their own personal level and work to raise that level and not to compete or compare your self with anyone else. At first that was hard to do, but as we began to run, I realized I could do what I needed for me and that was OK. The session ended up being quite a boost in my energy level and it gave me more confidence in myself to fulfill my own needs and to block out everything else.
As the day progressed, the time came to make my run to the pharmacy. It took a lot longer than I expected because of insurance issues. When we got back, I headed to the swimming session. The other campers had been in the water for about 60 minutes and all of their drills had begun. Rather than to add another individual with new needs to the group, Celeste felt the session would run smoother if I did not participate. So I went back to the dorm and took a shower. I was waiting for the next class when I BONKED severely, with no prior warning. No fun, for sure!! A couple of fellow campers got me through it. After giving me 2 gel packets, my blood sugar was checked and I had come up to 32. At the lowest level, my mind was so muddled, but I had this feeling of fear and not knowing if I was going to get through it. Then the next thought was of where I was, I’m at DTC, what other group of people could I be in that could take the proper of me?? And they did take care of me. The experience was very humbling, but also, I felt a bond with the two campers helping me that is indescribable. The terrible experience I had, turned into one of the best experiences of the day. I can only imagine the how wonderful I will feel by the end of the week. Bonding in such a secure place is AWESOME!!!

Suzi V

No comments:

Post a Comment