Tuesday, August 11, 2009

CAMPER BLOGS...Ironman or "Yardman"?

First real day at camp has been a whirlwind. First, as a practicing emergency medicine physician I did not know exactly what to expect. I wanted to work hard physically but was nervous about spending a week intensely focused on Diabetes, Exercise, and living with this disease. I was wary of spending time with far more “accomplished” diabetics than I. I am surrounded by uplifting and exceptionally gifted fellow diabetics who immediately create a sense of camaraderie and community. I am also surrounded by unbelievably dedicated camp staff team that makes everything look seamless and provide opportunity for real life application of the lecture topics if you have done an Ironman or “Yardman“ (my term for riding your bike to the mailbox, running across the yard and jumping in the pool race)

Today we had run coaching with Yoli. Yoli is a Peruvian spitfire that could inspire a goat to believe he was a antelope. She coached like tomorrow you will be lining up at Kona. (Follow me here, I’m living the dream)

Swimming was with Celeste, hailing from the beautiful mountains of New Hampshire, giving us insight on the Total Immersion method and filming our stroke to ensure “Total Humility”

Carrie the mentalist keeps attention paid to our athletic spiritual being, and helps us get to know one another.

Double lecture by Chuck the Exercise Physiologist from Missoula Montana was outstanding and relevant date about how we are not so different than our “Non-D” athletic counterparts. Professionally I say great job and awesome speaker.

Nancy E. rocks and has no idea how much this kind of thing is appreciated and big Matt C. is a favor to my profession for his dedication and perseverance to help the 42 of us who have come to this thing.

Grant the Bike Doctor of the Bass Guitar family got me a new setup on my bike, has established the code of conduct for the community bathroom, keeps everyone’s wheels spinning. Many thanks to a genuine article of a human.

I may have left out a few folks but there is a line for this computer so, let me end with this: I am already trying to figure out how to come to the next one.

Finishing is Winning
JJL

No comments:

Post a Comment